The admission to the Ph.D Schools at the University of Padua is obtained by passing a formal examination performed only one time each year.
A single professor, including the PhD Director, has no possibility to accept a Ph.D student.
Enrollment is possible only for candidates winning the formal competition according to a time schedule published in the unipd web site (see below). Usually enrollment is accomplished at the end of each year, in order to begin PhD work on Juanuary.
Foreign students with a foreign Master degree have two different options to be enrolled as Ph.D students:
1) The University of Padua open in the last few years a competition reserved to foreign students (grants for foreign students). Information can be found on the official pages of the University of Padua at Ateneo web page. The number of fellowships is limited. The winners of this competition are admitted to the Ph.D School they choose. Besides the regular fellowship they have also a full board benefit for three years.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: see Padova university main site at www.unipd.it > students > research doctorates (approximately September 1st each year) Application
2) Foreign students could also participate to the regular call together with all other students. For the Ph.D School in Information Engineering the preliminary information is reported below.
You will find the call for the 28th series on the official pages of the University of Padua at Ateneo web page.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: see Padova university main site at www.unipd.it > students > research doctorates (the call opens approximately September 1st and closes October 1st each year) Application
Admission procedure: further information
To be admitted to the PhD School in Information Engineering each candidate has to pass an exam. For the 28th series the admission exam is composed by the evaluation of the curriculum of the candidates and the evaluation of the GRE General Part Test.
The management committee of the PhD School in Information Engineering strongly recommend the admission committee to use the following criterion and scores for the list of admitted students to the school.
Academic and Scientific awards: 100,00 points:
- Test GRE General Part (*):- Quantitative Reasoning (paper based, PBT, or computer based, CBT): max points 5,00
- Average scores of the exams to get the Master Degree: max points 10,00
- Average scores of the exams to get the Bachelor Degree: max points 2,00
- Letter of recommendation written by using the attached form (get the form ). It must be either sent by e-mail together with a scanned copy of a passport of the writer to firstname.lastname@example.org or given to the student in a sealed envelope in order to it will be included in the package to present for the admission: max points 4,00
- Research program for the three years of the Ph.D.: max points 4,00
- Score of the master degree: max points 65,00
- Scientific Publications on Journal/Conferences/books (even for accepted publication with a letter of acceptance attached): max points 4,00
- Curriculum of the candidate: max points 4,00
- Master degree thesis (written in English): max points 2,00
In case the candidate has followed a University unique course of study of duration of at least five years, in place of the scores of Bacheleor and Master Degrees will be substituted respectively as follows:
average scores of the exams to get the Degree (max points 12,00) and Master Degree Score (max points 65)
All other aspects are as before.
We recall that a minimum of 70 points are required to be inserted in the admission list. Besides, the overall score is computed by summing the points obtained from partial results of the preceeding list; any non-documented award or declaration wil not be taken into account (0 points)
(*) For further information please visit this website. REMEMBER: in order to the GRE test score will arrive directly to the School the candidate has to insert the School code, 7076
In case you are not able to get the official GRE score on time please fill in the form 'Self certification' inserting the score of the Quantitative Reasoning.
| declaration (49 Kb) (Agg: 28-05-2009)
If the candidate intend to participate to both the two “Indirizzo” he/she has to present two different packages one for each “Indirizzo” complete of all the documents.
Candidates must prepare the package(s) and be ready for sending it by courier to the address:
Mrs Alessandra Calore
Dipartimento di INGEGNERIA DELL'INFORMAZIONE
Via Gradenigo 6b, 35131 Padova (PD), Italy
Tel. +39 0498277618
Fax +39 0498277919
Please take care that the package must be received within the deadline.
The package also must contain a form that should be filled online and it will be available after the opening of the call. The call will remain open for 30 days. Deadlines are published on the web, please check these pages and the quoted pages at Padova university main site. In any case, please prepare all other stuff well in advance.
Please contact the Italian Embassy/Consulate to get information for the translation of your University career with scores. We accept the original Univeristy career even in English without any translation in Italian. It is important to get from the University where you got the bachelor and master degrees a statement giving the average score of all the students that obtained the bachelor and the master degrees the same year of you, in order to compare the scores you get with the one of your competitors.
The certificate from the Italian Embassy/Consulate (dichiarazione di valore) regarding your University career is not mandatory now.
Please send a copy of your University degree which must be received by the deadline to:
Servizio Formazione alla Ricerca
Via 8 Febbraio, n. 2
35122 Padova, Italy
The admission lists will be separated for each 'Indirizzo' and for each fellowships granted by external or research funds. Candidates in more than one list has the possibility to choose the one to be enrolled.
Fellowships and available positions per “Indirizzo”, application deadline: to be defined (approximately October 1st 2012), 28th series
Indirizzo: BIOINGEGNERIA (bioengineering)
A) Univ. Padova Fellowships: n. 2
B) Fellowships granted by LEGGE 170: n. 0
C) Fellowship granted by external Institutions: n. 1
D) Positions without financial support: n. 3
TOTAL: n. 6
Fellowship granted by external Institutions
1 funded by Cariparo Foundation.
Indirizzo: SCIENZA e TECNOLOGIA DELL'INFORMAZIONE (Information and Communication Science and Technology, ICT)
A) Univ. Padova Fellowships: n. 10
B) Fellowships granted by LEGGE 170: n. 2
C) Fellowship granted by external Institutions: n. 0
D) Positions without financial support: n. 12
TOTAL: n. 24
Research Areas for the fellowships granted by 'legge 170':
1 ICT and electronic devices
2 Innovative wide band telecommunication systems with the employment of satellites for different users with reference to security, prevention and intervention in case of natural catastrophes
Remarks. The fellowships related to the “Legge 170” are given on the basis of the general list of merit. The student in any case has to accept the fellowship, and in this case he accepts also to do research in one of the research area indicated (Ambito). All the areas have to be covered.
Evaluation criteria for the fellowship granted by external Institutions
100 for each proof
Students which apply for one or more of these fellowships must apply first to the fellowships within the Indirizzo where these fellowships are offered. Also, they must obtain in this evaluation the minimum score to be admitted in the admission list.
The final score for the list is obtained by the sum of the two proofs.
The evaluation is done by considering the following additional aspects:
- Letter of recommendation written by using the attached form (get the form). It must be either sent by e-mail together with a scanned copy of a passport of the writer to email@example.com or given to the student in a sealed envelope in order to it will be included in the package to present for the admission: max points 30,00
- Research program for the three years of the Ph.D. different with respect to the one presented for the Indirizzo and with a theme coherent with the research topic of the fellowship. The evaluation criterion will privilege the coherence with the research topic: max points 70,00.
To be inserted in the admission list the student must obtain at least 70 points even in the additional evaluation.
Since the date of publication the candidate has 30 days to submit his data to the School.
Guidelines for the preparation of the research project:
1. Project Title
2. State of the art (max two A4 pages)
3. Project objectives (max one A4 page)
4. Project description and activities (metodologies, expected results, etc., max four A4 pages)
5. Working Program including time schedule of activities.
6. References (max 40 reference)
Further informations can be found on the official pages of the University of Padua (in italian) at Ateneo web page.