I am Assistant Professor with the Department of Information Engineering (DEI), University of Padova, Italy and member of the SIGNET research group @DEI. My research interests are mainly centered around: 1) wireless sensor and mobile networks with energy harvesting capabilities, 2) joint optimization of market, control and telecommunication aspects of smart energy grids and 3) smart wearables and human data mining technology.
- 2016-2020: PI of the MSCA ITN SCAVENGE project on energy harvesting mobile networks.
- 2016-2018: PI of the IoT-SURF project (CPDA151221): "IoTSURF: a unifying abstraction and reasoning framework for connected and unconnected objects", funded by the University of Padova.
- 2016-2018: Co-PI of the ECCENTRIC project on distributed signal processing and dissemination in energy harvesting sensor networks, funded by Intel.
- 2014-2015: PI of a SAMSUNG GRO project entitled: "Boosting Efficiency in Biometric Signal Processing for Smart Wearable Devices".
- 2010-2014: Marie Curie Senior Researcher within SWAP (EU FP7-IAPP project on energy harvesting WSNs).
- 2010-2013: EU IoT-A (FP7, architectures and protocols for the Internet of Things).
- 2010-2012: PI of the MOSAICS project (CDPA 094077): "MOnitoring Sensor and Actuator networks through Integrated Compressive Sensing and data gathering", funded by the University of Padova.
- 2008-2010: EU SENSEI project (WSNs as enablers of the future Internet), WISE-WAI project (City-wide intelligence through Wireless Sensor Networking, fundend by Cariparo).
- 2005-2009: collaboration with the Ubiquitous Networking Research group @ DOCOMO Euro-Labs (in Munich, Germany) in the design of distributed storage and data dissemination schemes for wireless systems (Network Coding and Compressive Sensing).
- 2002-2007: EU EYES (protocols for energy efficient WSNs, 2002-2005), EU Ambient Networks (IP, phase I and II, heterogeneous and ubiquitous wireless networking, 2002-2007), EU e-SENSE (protocols and architectures for WSNs, 2004-2007).
- 2000-2004: collaborations with ERICSSON, ESA (European Space Agency) and CNIT ("Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni").
I gratefully acknowledge
- 2014: SAMSUNG Global Research Outreach (GRO) Winner with a research proposal entitled "Boosting Efficiency in Biometric Signal Processing for Smart Wearable Devices".
- 2014: EU FP7 SWAP selected as a success story. The FP7 SWAP project on energy harvesting sensor networks has been selected by the European Commission as a success story! Read the full article [pdf] (published on March 1, 2014).
- 2013: Awarded as one of the young talents in the Venice region. Michele Rossi has been selected as one of the 1000 young talents in the Venice region among all disciplines, including academic research, entrepreneurs and athletics. He has received the "Premio Città Impresa" 2013 the 8th of May 2013 @ the Teatro Comunale di Vicenza.
- 2012: Italiax10 - selected as one of the 10 top young Italian researchers to present his project idea on Smart Grids at Italiax10, held on the 20-th of September 2012 at the Teatro Verdi of Trieste, Italy.
- 2008: Best Tutorial Paper Award. Elena Fasolo, Michele Rossi, Jörg Widmer and Michele Zorzi, "In-Network Aggregation Techniques for Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey," IEEE Wireless Communication Magazine, Apr. 2007, pp: 70-87.
- 2007: Best Paper Award. Leonardo Badia, Nicola Bui, Marco Miozzo, Michele Rossi and Michele Zorzi, "Mobility Aided Routing in Multi-hop Heterogeneous Networks with Group Mobility," IEEE GLOBECOM, Washington, DC, US. Nov. 26-30, 2007.
- 2006: Best Paper Award. Leonardo Badia, Nicola Bui, Marco Miozzo, Michele Rossi and Michele Zorzi, "On the Exploitation of User Aggregation Strategies in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks," IEEE CAMAD, Trento, Italy, June 8-9, 2006.
- 2005: Best Paper Award. Michele Rossi, Leonardo Badia, Paolo Giacon and Michele Zorzi, "On the Effectiveness of Logical Device Aggregation in Multi-radio Multi-hop Networks," IEEE MobiWac, Maui, Hawaii, US. June 13-16, 2005.
- I teach the MS level course Wireless Communications, where I cover fundamental concepts including the wireless fading channel, frequency selectivity, link layer, transport protocols as well as more advanced topics such as hybrid ARQ designs, Fountain Codes, MISO, SIMO, MIMO: Beamforming / Spatial Multiplexing, IEEE802.11n and designs for Wireless Sensor Networks.
- A mailing list for the course "Communication Networks" has been created, please subscribe through the following page: ComNet mailing list
- 2017-current: I am Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- 2011-2016: Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- I have served on the TPC of 90+ conferences and workshops, including: IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE ICC, IEEE SECON, IEEE INFOCOM, etc., see the full TPC list.
- I received an Outstanding Reviewer Award from Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks in 2014.
- I have been awarded as one of the 100 distinguished TPC members of INFOCOM 2017.
- I regularly serve as reviewer for several Journals of IEEE, ACM, Springer and Elsevier.
- I am a Senior Member of the IEEE.