I am Associate Professor with the Department of Information Engineering (DEI), University of Padova, Italy and member of the SIGNET research group @DEI. My research focuses on telecommunications systems, learning systems and human data analysis.
The IEEE/DEI PhD Summer School of Information Engineering wants you :-) Check out the SSIE 2019 website, July 8-12 2019, Brixen, Italy.
For my current research on green mobile networks, see the SCAVENGE You Tube Channel.
- 2016-2020: PI of the MSCA ITN SCAVENGE project on energy harvesting mobile networks.
- 2016-2018: PI of the IoT-SURF project (CPDA151221): "IoTSURF: a unifying abstraction and reasoning framework for connected and unconnected objects", funded by the University of Padova.
- 2016-2018: Co-PI of the ECCENTRIC project on distributed signal processing and dissemination in energy harvesting sensor networks, funded by Intel.
- 2014-2015: PI of a SAMSUNG GRO project entitled: "Boosting Efficiency in Biometric Signal Processing for Smart Wearable Devices".
- 2010-2014: Marie Curie Senior Researcher within SWAP (EU FP7-IAPP project on energy harvesting WSNs).
- 2010-2013: EU IoT-A (FP7, architectures and protocols for the Internet of Things).
- 2010-2012: PI of the MOSAICS project (CDPA 094077): "MOnitoring Sensor and Actuator networks through Integrated Compressive Sensing and data gathering", funded by the University of Padova.
- 2008-2010: EU SENSEI project (WSNs as enablers of the future Internet), WISE-WAI project (City-wide intelligence through Wireless Sensor Networking, fundend by Cariparo).
- 2005-2009: collaboration with the Ubiquitous Networking Research group @ DOCOMO Euro-Labs (in Munich, Germany) in the design of distributed storage and data dissemination schemes for wireless systems (Network Coding and Compressive Sensing).
- 2002-2007: EU EYES (protocols for energy efficient WSNs, 2002-2005), EU Ambient Networks (IP, phase I and II, heterogeneous and ubiquitous wireless networking, 2002-2007), EU e-SENSE (protocols and architectures for WSNs, 2004-2007).
- 2000-2004: collaborations with ERICSSON, ESA (European Space Agency) and CNIT ("Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni").
I gratefully acknowledge
- 2018: Best Paper Award. Angel Fernandez Gambin, Michele Rossi, Energy Cooperation for Sustainable Base Station Deployments: Principles and Algorithms, IEEE GLOBECOM, Singapore, 4-8 December, 2017. IEEE Communications Society’s Transmission, Access, and Optical Systems (TAOS) Technical Committee's Award for Best Paper in the "Green Communications Systems and Networks" (GCSN) Symposium. Check out the twit :-)
- 2014: SAMSUNG Global Research Outreach (GRO) Winner with a research proposal entitled "Boosting Efficiency in Biometric Signal Processing for Smart Wearable Devices".
- 2014: EU FP7 SWAP selected as a success story. The FP7 SWAP project on energy harvesting sensor networks has been selected by the European Commission as a success story! Read the full article [pdf] (published on March 1, 2014).
- 2013: Awarded as one of the young talents in the Venice region. Michele Rossi has been selected as one of the 1000 young talents in the Venice region among all disciplines, including academic research, entrepreneurs and athletics. He has received the "Premio Città Impresa" 2013 the 8th of May 2013 @ the Teatro Comunale di Vicenza.
- 2012: Italiax10 - selected as one of the 10 top young Italian researchers to present his project idea on Smart Grids at Italiax10, held on the 20-th of September 2012 at the Teatro Verdi of Trieste, Italy.
- 2008: Best Tutorial Paper Award. Elena Fasolo, Michele Rossi, Jörg Widmer and Michele Zorzi, "In-Network Aggregation Techniques for Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey," IEEE Wireless Communication Magazine, Apr. 2007, pp: 70-87.
- 2007: Best Paper Award. Leonardo Badia, Nicola Bui, Marco Miozzo, Michele Rossi and Michele Zorzi, "Mobility Aided Routing in Multi-hop Heterogeneous Networks with Group Mobility," IEEE GLOBECOM, Washington, DC, US. Nov. 26-30, 2007.
- 2006: Best Paper Award. Leonardo Badia, Nicola Bui, Marco Miozzo, Michele Rossi and Michele Zorzi, "On the Exploitation of User Aggregation Strategies in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks," IEEE CAMAD, Trento, Italy, June 8-9, 2006.
- 2005: Best Paper Award. Michele Rossi, Leonardo Badia, Paolo Giacon and Michele Zorzi, "On the Effectiveness of Logical Device Aggregation in Multi-radio Multi-hop Networks," IEEE MobiWac, Maui, Hawaii, US. June 13-16, 2005.
If I could give any advice to anyone musically, it’s that you have to just pick some one thing and stick with it, and don’t let anything get you off track. And you have to give back, if someone wants to know how to play a C chord, show them, don’t keep it all for yourself - Joe Diorio
- Wireless Communications: here, I cover fundamental concepts including the wireless fading channel, frequency selectivity, link layer technology, transport protocols as well as more advanced topics such as hybrid ARQ designs, Fountain Codes, MISO, SIMO, MIMO: Beamforming / Spatial Multiplexing, IEEE802.11n/ac and designs for Wireless Sensor Networks.
Human Data Analytics: in this MS level course, I present advanced machine learning techniques with focus on their application to human data analysis. Considered signal types are: ECG, speech, inertial signals (accelerometer and gyroscope data), video. Applications are: ECG signal compression, user-identification, automatic speech recognition systems, user authentication and activity recognition via inertial (movement) data. A course project on activity recognition is showcased through the following short video.
- Communication Networks (year 2016/2017). Covered topics are: link layer and transport protocols, routing over Ethernet and ad hoc networks, scheduling (in packet switches, in wireless networks), some basic queueing theory and statistical multiplexing, peer-to-peer networks.
- 2017-current: I am Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- 2011-2016: Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- I have served on the TPC of 100+ conferences and workshops, including: IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE ICC, IEEE SECON, IEEE INFOCOM, etc., see the full TPC list.
- I received an Outstanding Reviewer Award from Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks in 2014.
- Awarded a distinguished member of the INFOCOM 2017 Technical Program Committee.
- Awarded a distinguished member of the INFOCOM 2019 Technical Program Committee.
- I regularly serve as reviewer for several Journals of IEEE, ACM, Springer and Elsevier.
- I am a Senior Member of the IEEE.