After receiving the B.Sc. in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Padova (IT), Massmio moved to the University of Pavia (IT) where he received the M.Sc. degree in Bioengineering and the Ph.D. in Bioengineering and Bioinformatics. From 2014 to May 2020, he worked at the Centre of Health Technologies and at the Electrical, Computer and Biomedical Engineering Department, University of Pavia (IT), focusing his resarch in the field of Synthetic Biology. He spent almost a year spread between 2017 and 2020 as Visiting Researcher at the Department of Mechanical Engineering and at the Center of Synthetic Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA. In 2020, he moved to the Department of Information Engineering at the University of Padova. He collaborates with the Department of Molecular Medicine to start a novel research line in Synthetic Biology applied to Microbiome Engineering by adopting Systems biology as bridging discipline between the two scientific fields. His main research activities are - not limited to - the design, construction and modeling of synthetic genetic controllers in living cells, rational design of gene expression regulation systems, CRISPR interference technology, cross-kingdom cell communication and microbiota-related medical applications.
Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Padova, Italy
Thesis title: Il sistema Bose Electroforce per la caratterizzazione del comportamento a trazione di pericardio bovino e porcino.
Master's Degree in Bioengineering at the University of Pavia, Italy
Thesis title: Progettazione bottom-up di sistemi biologici: debug di circuiti genetici interconnessi mediante approcci in-vivo ed in-silico.
PhD in Bioengineering and Bioinformatics at the University of Pavia, Italy
Thesis title: Overcoming Metabolic Burden in Synthetic Biology: A CRISPR-interference Approach.
PhD Student in Bioengineering and Bioinformatics, BMS Laboratory and Centre for Health Technologies - CHT, University of Pavia, Italy
Visiting researcher, Del Vecchio Laboratory, Synthetic Biology Centre - SBC, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Research Fellow, BMS Laboratory and Centre for Health Technologies - CHT, University of Pavia, Italy
Research Fellow, Dept. of Information Engineering and Dept. of Molecular medicine, University of Padova, Italy
Synthetic and Systems Biology as novel interdisciplinary research fields and enabling technologies
- Microbiome Engineering, in particular:
- Treatment of Clostridium difficile infection through bile salts control
- Treatment of pathogens' antibiotic resistances and escape strategies
- Study of quorum sensing mechanisms in bacterial pathogens
- Synthetic Biology basic research, in particular:
- Mathematical modeling of biological context dependencies
- Genetic feedback controllers;
- Quorum sensing and quorum quenching modeling
- CRISPR technology and applications, in particular:
- CRISPR-interference for reduced-burden circuit design
- CRISPR-interference gRNAs competition
- CRISPRi-based genetic controllers
- Cross-kingdom gene regulation.
"Silvio Cavalcanti Award" for the Best Master Thesis from the National Group of Bioengineering
Sep, 2015 - Brixen, Italy
Graduation to Professional Information Engineer (Italian legislation)
Dec, 2015 - Pavia, Italy
Founding member of National Group of Bioengineering, since 2019
Young Professional Member of the IEEE-EMB group, since 2016
Member of the AIChE-SBE, since 2018
Co-founder of the MIT-Visiting Student Association (ViStA), since 2016
Participation to projects
Grant "Fondazione Cariplo": "Sustainable bioconversion of lactose into ethanol: field testing of a demonstration plant to close the valorization cycle of dairy waste"
Grant "Fondazione Cariplo": "Conversion of industrial bio-waste into biofuels and bioproducts through synthetic biology"
- AY 2021-2022: Adjunct Professor at “Systems Biology” (6 CFUs), second cycle degree course in Control Engineering, Information Engineering Department, University of Padova
- 2020: Lecturer at “Computational Genomics”, second cycle degree course in Bioengineering, Information Engineering Department, University of Padova
- 2015-2019: Lecutrer at "Bioinformatics and Synthetic Biology, second cycle degree course in Bioengineering, Department of Electronic, Infomation and Biomedical Egi Università di Pavia
- 2018-2019: “Genome editing and CRISPR technologies” – corso di laurea in Medicina e Chirurgia, Università di Pavia
- 2017-2019:“Synthetic Biology, Metabolic Engineering and Probiotic Engineering” – alternanza scuola lavoro per studenti delle scuole superiori, Università di Pavia
- 2016-2019: Tutor at "Biostatistic" course - University of Pavia
- 2016-2017: Tutor at "Mathematics for newly-registered in Engineering" course - University of Pavia
Massimo Bellato has served as supervisor for 6 Master Degree students’ thesis in Bioengineering, Biology and Biotechnology at University of Padova and Pavia.
Check all publication list here
Last update: 07-February-2021