I’m associate professor in Computer Engineering at the Department of Information Engineering of the University of Padova. Previously, I was assistant professor at the Department of Information Engineering of the University of Padova (2007-2015). During my activity I have been a research intern at IBM T.J.Watson Research Center twice. I have been a visiting researcher at University of Purdue (US) once and at Universitat Politcnica de Catalunya, Barcelona (Spain) three times. In 2007 I received from the University of Padova the C. Offelli Award for best young researcher. Since 2015 I am an Associate Professor at the University of Padova. In 2020 I received the Italian National Scientific Qualification for the role of Full Professor in Computer Science (SSD INF/01).
My research targets Algorithms and Applications on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics.
In particular, I have been extensively working on:
- Pattern Discovery
- Data Compression
- Alignment-free Statistics
- Efficient Algorithms for Sequencing Data
- Reads Clustering and Classification
I serve regularly in following program committees:
- ICCABS, BIOKDD, ISBRA, WABI, PRIB, CIBCB
I am a regular reviewer for the journals:
- Nucleic Acids Research (NAR), Bioinformatics, Briefings in Bioinformatics, BMC Algorithm for Molecular Biology (AMB), BMC Bioinformatics, ACM/IEEE Transaction in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (TCBB), Journal of Computational Biology (JCB).
You can find my master/bachelor theses’ proposals here.
I have taught these courses at the University of Padova:
- Architettura degli Elaboratori (in Italian): 2007-today
- Algoritmi per la Bioinformatica (in Italian): 2013-2020
- Bioinformatics (in English): 2021-today
- Address: Department of Information Engineering, University of Padova, Via Gradenigo 6/B, I-35131 Padova, Italy
- Office: 311a
- Phone: +39 049 8277935
- E-mail: comin ♦ dei • unipd • it (♦=at, •=dot)