The subject aims at providing basic knowledge of modern telecommunication architectures, as well as fundamental mathematical tools for the modelling, design and analysis of telecommunications networks and services. The course will also give you some practical experience
with network protocols and devices, thanks to a series of lab experiences that will introduce you to the art of router and socket programming. Ancillary to all this knowledge, the course will help you develop some basic management skills that shall belong to the baggage of each engineer.
Some of the topics that will be considered by the course are the following:
- Data traffic sources: multimedia streams and content (characterization and modeling)
- Packet switched networks: basics of data networks (Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth)
- ISO/OSI and TCP/IP protocol stacks:protocols and interfaces (MAC, DLL, NET, TRAN)
- Quality of Service: Congestion control and Scheduling algorithms
- Application layer: basics of DNS, SMPT, FTP, HTTP, P2P